One snowy March evening in 1944 I was taking a walk in central Stockholm. Under the newly fallen snow was a layer of slippery ice, and I fell, spraining my ankle. It was quite a while before I was up and about again, and to pass the time I started writing down the Pippi stories.
As a writer of children’s books, Lindgren was unparalleled. She is famous as the individual who truly ignited children's literature in Sweden and Scandinavia. Above all, it was the Pippi Longstocking trilogy, ‘Pippi Longstocking’ (1945), ‘Pippi Goes on Board’ (1946), ‘Pippi in the South Seas’ (1948), that established her renown. However, she also authored other lovely imaginative classics including ‘The Children on Troublemaker Street ‘(1958), ‘Emil in Lonneberga’ (1963), ‘The Brothers Lionhear’ (1973) and ‘Ronja Robber's Daughter’ (1981). Lindgren was a recipient of numerous awards including the Lewis Carroll Shelf Award for ‘Pippi Longstocking’ (1973) and the Hans Christian Andersen Award (1958).
 
Top