On the afternoon of May 11, 1981 after a losing battle with cancer, Bob’s prophecy had been fulfilled.

 
He had died whispering comforting words to his dear mother Ciddy “Maddah, don’ cry”.
Reminiscent of the song he had written and performed in 1975, 6 years prior to this fateful day, he had already told her that everything was going to be alright in “No Woman No Cry”.
I remember when we used to sit In a government yard in Trench Town
And then Georgie would make a fire light
As it was log wood burning through the night
Then we would cook cornmeal porridge
Of which I’ll share with you
My feet is my only carriage
So I’ve got to push on through
But while I’m gone…
No woman, no cry
No woman, no cry
Oh, my little darling I say don’t shed no tears
No woman, no cry
Little sister, don’t shed no tears
No woman, no cry
This song sums up in a nutshell the love of a son for his mother.
Even while he is carrying his own heavy burden he was thinking of her sacrifice, her love and her well being.
Although this song was evidently dedicated to none other than Cedella Booker, it is a universally fitting tribute to the love shared between a mother and her child and proves Marley was indeed a lover of all, especially women.
 
Top