Originally from Corpus Christi, TX, Chris Layton moved to Austin in 1975, and three years later joined the newly-formed Double Trouble. Tommy Shannon joined in 1980, and the two of them played with Stevie Ray Vaughan right up until his tragic death in 1990.

The pair then joined Charlie Sexton and Doyle Bramhall II in the Arc Angels. Layton has also played with Buddy Guy, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, and jazz guitarist Larry Carlton.

"The template in my life had been Stevie," he says, "whose beliefs and values, and the way he felt about music, were so strong that he was like a dog on a bone. And I felt that about Malford. I had only known him for a few weeks, but there was just something that I sensed about him: I immediately trusted that his head was in the right place, he had a good spirit, and he was somebody who really cared about his music, and I loved the way he sang, and here we are."
Source: http://members.aol.com/dixieblues
 
Top