Last October, Phil Collins said that he was done with recording and was going to spend some time writing a book on one of his favorite subjects, The Alamo. At the time, he said "I'm not anticipating doing anything else. If I do write songs... I don't know about putting them out on an album or anything like that. I don't really have the desire to do that now."
Collins recently talked with FHM magazine where he made his decision on music a little more definite, but not quite final.

"I look at the MTV Music Awards and I think: 'I can't be in the same business as this.

"I don't really belong to that world and I don't think anyone's going to miss me. I'm much happier just to write myself out of the script entirely.

"I'll go on a mysterious biking holiday and never return. That would be a great way to end the story, wouldn't it?"
Phil has a myriad of physical problems from his many years in the business as a drummer, including nerve damage in both his hands which makes it hard to hold the sticks, hearing loss and a dislocated vertebrae.

He also thinks that he was just plain overexposed during his career, especially at the point where both Genesis and his solo work were getting hugs amounts of airplay. "It's hardly surprising that people grew to hate me. I'm sorry that it was all so successful. I honestly didn't mean it to happen like that."

Collins also doesn't have a lot of regrets about the past, but he does have concerns on the future. "I'm not worried about not being able to play the drums again, I'm more worried about being able to cut a loaf of bread safely or building things for my kids. My doctors tell me it's a work in progress, that it will take about a year for me to recover."
 
Top